Did you know? Approximately 25% of the working population are employed in an environment what is generally categorised as 'office work'.
We spend on average 8 hours a day in an office space, but how many hours of the day do we actually spend at our office desk being productive? According to Inc we are only productive for 3 hours of the day. Many of us are guilty of sitting at our desks pretending to be busy when actually we are just flicking between the tabs on our internet browser.
Several studies have shown that being able to personalise your office desk can have psychological benefits. Having a personalised workspace can help you feel more productive and comfortable when you’re in the office. If you’re spending 8 hours a day, 5 days a week sat at the same desk, then it makes sense to make your own space as personal and comfortable as possible.
In some ways our office desk represents who we are as a person. Our desk can reveal things about us to our colleagues such as likes, hobbies and traits. For example, if your colleague has a messy desk with mountains of paperwork we can definitely take a guess at what type of person they are.
How to Personalise your Office Desk
With this in mind you can help give your workspace a home from home feel. We’ve put together some suggestions to help you personalise your office desk:
- Personalised screensaver – Changing the background on your computer to an appropriate image which is more personal to you is a great way to personalise your office desk when you switch on your computer. It can be a funny picture or a motivational quote to give you a boost until home time especially on those days when you really don’t feel productive.
- Quirky Stationary – Everyone enjoys going to the office with some new stationary in their pencil case which no one else has. To make your office desk more personal show off your new stationary essentials for your colleagues to admire. Bright stationary can also help put a smile on your face when you’re having a difficult day.
- Snacks – Having snacks nearby is a great pick-me-up when you’re having a busy day and can’t peel yourself away from your computer screen. Just be careful not to have too many sugary snacks as you don’t want to be bouncing off the walls.
- Personalised Cup – Having your own cup in the office can make you feel more at home. If you work in an office with lots of people then you will know there are often empty mugs left around on people’s desks. If you have your own personalised cup with your initials on it then people will recognise it’s yours and won’t use it. There’s nothing worse than seeing a colleague you dislike drinking out of a cup you regularly use.
- Organise – Most modern offices are now open plan it’s very easy for mountains of paperwork tower over you whilst you’re sat working away at your desk making the place look a bit of an eyesore. Organise and declutter your office desk by using trays to put your current projects in and under desk storage to file away paperwork you’ve finished.
- Stationary organisers – With all the new stationary you’ve bought you can arrange it neatly on your desk with a stationary organiser. Put all the items you use regularly in the organiser so then you don’t have to go on a hunt for it when you lose your favourite pen.
- Personal Pictures – Sitting alone at your office desk keeping yourself busy with your everyday tasks can make you feel isolated. Having photos of family and friends on your office desk is a simple way to make your workspace more personal it also reminds you that there’s a world outside the office especially on those really long days.
- Desk Plants - With many of us spending on average 8 hours a day in the office then a desk plant can help bring a little bit bit of the outside in. There are many benefits to an office desk plant not only will it brighten up your desk, but it can also help to reduce stress and increase creativity by 15%.
Our Top 10 Desk Accessories
Now you’ve got an idea how you can make your office desk more personal. Here are a few of our favourite items to help create a more personal your workspace.
- Desk Tidy - Clippings
- Snack Boxes - John Lewis
- Initial Cup - Marks and Spencers
- Dailymood Chart - Menkind
- Cactus Pens - Etsy
- Sticky Notes - Post Boxed
- Erasers - Smiggle
- Post it Note Dispenser - Viking Direct
- Notebook - WHSmiths
- Desk Planter - Etsy
Office Desks from Kit Out My Office
Visit Kit Out My Office, and you'll find a huge range of office desks available in different sizes suitable for your business or home, with shapes and styles from the traditional panel end office desk to the top selling cantilever desk leg. Choose from up to 16 colour options such as contemporary woodgrain finishes, bright and vibrant colour and modern high gloss finishes. We're confident that you'll find a desk suitable for your office.
All of our office desks are made in our own UK factory and manufactured to the highest standards. We hold FSC and ISO certificates – which is why we can also offer a 10 year guarantee on our desks.
For furniture information on any of our products or services, call a friendly member of our experienced sales team on 0800 8044 760, or email email@example.com today.